Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Journal Entry Three

December 3, 2007 - Day Three

Day three was a tough one. It was very windy and cold outside. It was so windy that one gust almost knocked me off my feet.

From 10 A.M. until 12 P.M., I hung out at the Bronx Library to kill some time. After that, I walked South on Grand Concourse to 146th Street to find a homeless shelter. I can't remember the name of the place off hand, but the address is 344 E. 146th Street. It was a pain in the ass to find. It's off of 3rd Avenue though, but I wish I would have known that in advance. It would have saved me a few hours of grief. It took me three hours to get there. The sisters didn't open the doors until 4 P.M., and when they did, they only let three guys in at a time. At about 5 P.M., a nun came out and told the remaining four of us that there weren't any beds left. She asked us if we wanted some chow, and she brought out two PB&J sandwiches for each of us to have.

While I was standing outside in the cold, I met Wayne. He's a 53 year old local who is also homeless. He helped me out quite a bit last night. He showed me places where I could hang out and kill time. I also found a place to grab a free shower and a haircut.

I'm suppose to meet up with Wayne again on Day Five at White Plains & Pelham Parkway. We're going down to 41st Street & 9th Avenue in Manhattan to scope out another shelter.

Wish us luck!

Money Total = $26.50

New York Public Library - Bronx Branch

No comments: